Wednesday, March 17, 2010

March 6 -Sarah, Donna and I attended the AAUW's 9th Annual Author's Luncheon with guest Lisa See author of Shanghai Girls, our March book club selection. Although I was unable to sit with Sarah and Donna I did meet several amazing women at the sold out event of 300 in attendance. There was an inspiring and emotional speech by a local Chinese high school student who overcame many obstacles including being homeless at one point, but still manged to get over 4.o and an acceptance letter for a California University.

Lisa gave an insightful speech about the research that went into Shanghai Girls with her family in addition to strangers who welcomed her in to their homes to discuss their struggles as Chinese immigrants. Overall it was a memorable luncheon and I think I speak for Sarah and Donna that we would attend another event like this again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment